Update 12 maart 2020
The management of the Bas Group considers it very important to inform you of the most recent coronavirus developments in Italy.
Decree by the Italian Government
In addition to the regulations that are already known, there is now a supplementary decree that is in force in the whole of Italy from today 12 March to 25 March 2020:
- All commercial retail trade activities have been suspended, with the exception of activities relating to basic needs and food sales;
- The following locations are closed:
- street markets, bars, pubs and restaurants
- company departments that are not essential to production
- Industries and factories will be permitted to continue their production activities, on condition that they observe adequate safety measures in order to prevent infection;
- Businesses are encouraged to arrange shifts, early holidays and the closure of non-essential departments.
Consequences for your transports to/from Italy
When placing a new order for a collection or delivery in Italy between 12 and 25 March 2020, please check first whether:
- the address in Italy is open;
- the address in Italy can be reached;
- it is possible and permissible to collect or deliver goods at the address in Italy.
Please inform us about the result of these checks:
- If it is possible and permissible to collect or deliver goods at the address in Italy, we will be happy to carry out the transport order for you;
- If this cannot be done at the address in Italy and it concerns a:
- A. Collection from Italy: we will make the collection for you as soon as you know that the shipment can be collected at the address in Italy and we have received a new transport order from you for this collection.
- B. Delivery in Italy: we can then offer you 2 options:
- 1. You provide us with a transport order for your shipment as soon as it is known from which date the address in Italy will again be open for deliveries;
- 2. You provide us with a transport order, we collect the shipment for you in the Benelux, transport it by rail to Italy and store your shipment there temporarily, until you have informed us of a delivery date. In this case, the extra costs for temporary storage will be for your account.
If it turns out for whatever reason that a delivery cannot be made to the address in Italy, we will put the shipment into storage temporarily. The costs of temporary storage and for redelivery will in that case be for your account.
Consequences for distribution in Italy
The latest decree is having such a huge impact on all Italian distribution networks that these are or will be overwhelmed by shipments that it is impossible or forbidden to deliver during this period. Transit times can therefore not be guaranteed. We also expect that during this period, few or no updates will be provided on the status of the undelivered shipments and that these will be delivered again after 25 March. The costs of temporary storage and for redelivery of your shipment will in that case be for your account.
If you have any questions at any time about the effects of the coronavirus on the transport of your shipments to a specific country or area, please contact us.
Ton van de Donk
General Manager Operations